SCREEN GEMS PICTURES- A SONY COMPANY
A PAUL SEHIFF PRODUCTION
MOVIE REVIEW: PROUD MARY “SOME PALPABLE DEFECTS”
FOLLOW ON IG @ ogefash_july4
The movie “Proud Mary” was about Mary (Acted by Taraji P. Henson). Mary ran away from home into the streets because her father was very cruel to her. One day, Benny (Danny Glover) who was into illegal business found her and took her as his daughter as well as introduced her into his illegal business which is son Tom (Billy Brown) was also into. Mary became a professional assassin just like Benny and his crew.
One day, Mary was sent on a mission to kill Miller who was living with the son. Mary killed Miller (James Milord) but spared the life of his son Danny (Jahi Di’Allo Winston). Having made little Danny fatherless, Mary kept tabs on him to ensure his safety. Danny stayed with his Grandma and when she died, Danny ran into the streets in order not to be put under child service care. He was however found by a drug dealer Uncle (Xander Berkerly). Danny worked for Uncle who constantly maltreated him
Mary kept on trailing Danny day in and day out but never for once conversed with him. One day Danny passed out in the alley and Mary who was following him that day, carried him to her abode. Mary hid Danny in her house until one day, her ex- Tom visited and later discovered that Danny was the son of Miller whom Mary was sent to kill. Mary felt compelled to take care of Danny and crushed all that stood on her way to doing so. She crushed Uncle who maltreated the boy. You want to know who Mary crushed again in a bid to protect the teen? Check in the synopsis (View @ www.ogefash.reviews)
So touching movie, this film made me emotional. Some scenes got me teary-eyed. I really felt for the young lad- Danny, the poor boy though may not have had a good relationship with his dad- Miller, but he was sure enjoying life. He had freedom, video games and did not have to go hungry as his father made provision for his needs (I mean which father would want to see his child go hungry); however all those things soon changed when his father was killed. The sweet life he was used to turned bitter and he was immediately thrown into the street.
I love the fact that the film wasn’t too lengthy just about 1 hour 29 minutes. That Danny is a great kid actor, I really look forward to seeing him in other films; perhaps; fast paced movies; he had really kill it.
I love the fact that there were both morning and evening scenes. From the film, one could tell that everything happened within eight days. No months or years difference except the one that happened after Miller’s death. Everything happened so fast. It looks like a shoot done in less than a week…just thinking out loud though!
View the breakdown of the 8 days scenes if not less
Day 1- The intro- Miller’s death; about 3 minutes/ Day 2- Danny; from 3 minutes- 20minutes/ Day 3- The meeting; from 20 minutes- 26 minutes/ Day 4- Mary and Danny; from 27 minutes- 29 minutes/ Day 5- Danny is discovered; from 30 minutes-39 minutes/ Day 6- Mina’s birthday party; from 40 minutes-48 minutes/ Day 7- Mary and Danny decide to change costume and colour of costume; from 49 minutes- 58 minutes/ Day 8-The fight; from 59 minutes- 1 29 minutes
So I was wondering, Benny said Danny’s father- Miller owed him about 100.000 dollars. I was wondering what they sold to him, and if it was some drugs, how come they allowed the man owe up to that before they stopped selling to him on credit. Now that Benny sent Mary to kill him, did he recover his money?
So what exactly was proud about Mary? Can’t seem to fit the title with the movie. There was no pride in her, she was not even fearless, most of the killings she did, she was always breathing heavily after carrying such act. When Tom was torturing Luka’s boy, she couldn’t even stand it, she had to go outside, even though she was about to quit the group. Perhaps, she was confident, quite evident when she entered Uncle’s place and demanded for Danny. Uncle’s reply was “You think because you are Benny Goddamn Spencer’s man you get to walk in here and shoot your mouth off like a parrot with tits” @ the 14 minutes of the movie. Funny!
Proud Mary is not one of those suspense filled movie. I don’t even know why they did not figure Mary out quickly. I mean all her actions were suspicious, she was quiet @19 minutes 21 seconds of the movie; her silence, jittery acts, pointing fingers at someone else, keeping a stranger were all enough to point her out but her team members were blind to these. The film would probably have a continuation, Luka was not in the meeting when Mary and Tom attacked his men. Mary already killed Tom, so I believe Luka would certainly hunt Mary down for killing his men. I am also sure that if Mina doesn’t search for Mary herself, she would send people to search for her.
The movie Proud Mary doesn’t exactly have a superb cinematography. By the way, this guy’s expression @ the 1 hour of the movie really made me laugh “What the heck, a small boy like Danny, having the confidence to ask for their boss- Benny”
TARAJI P HENSON ACTED AS MARY; BILLY BROWN ACTED AS TOM; JAHI DI’ ALLO WINSTON ACTED AS DANNY; NEAL MC DONOUGH ACTED AS WALTER; MARGARET AVERY ACTED AS MINA; XANDER BERKERLY ACTED AS UNCLE; RADE SERBEDZIJA ACTED AS LUKA; ERIK LARAY HARVEY ACTED AS REGGIE; DANNY GLOVER ACTED AS BENNY; OWEN BURKE ACTED AS JEROME; JAMES JULLAN ACTED AS MILLER; OWEN BURKE ACTED AS JEROME; JAMES MILORD ACTED AS MILLER
STORY BY JOHN STUART NEWMAN AND CHRISTIAN SWEGAL
SCREEN PLAY BY JOHN STUART NEWMAN, CHRISTIAN SWEGAL AND STEVEN ANTIN
PRODUCED BY– PAUL SEHIFF P.G.A, TAI DUNCAN
CO-PRODUCER– ANDREA AJEMIAN; EXECUTIVE PRODUCER- GLENN. S GAINOR, TARAJI P HENSON,
DIRECTED BY BABAK NAJAFI; LOCATION– USA
YEAR– 2018; DURATION– 1 HOUR 29 MINUTES
Kudos: The kid actor Danny acted well, he is really one teen to look out for
- Just costume; nothing spectacular. Benny’s team operated with one colour; black. Their costume style made it look like the film was shot in a day
- Superb; piteous, soulful
- Too many dark scenes when it was not evening; it was always bright outdoor but dark indoor
- Why was Walter not even present at their general meeting @ 23 minutes 24 seconds, it made it look like the perfect opportunity to blame him for Uncle’s death. So I was wondering, if he was there, would Mary have pointed finger at him?
- It seems Tom doesn’t know that Mary was the one that killed his father, because he was still talking about uncle’s death, when he ought to be talking about his father’s death. His father’s death- Benny should be more important than Uncle’s death who was just a business partner
- It was all a gun battle I hardly saw Mary or any other person fight without a gun
- I don’t understand a particular scene @ 58 minutes of the movie. Danny went out in the evening in a train with Mary’s gun and the next morning, he was still in the train. He alighted and went to Benny’s place. If Benny’s place was that far, how come Mary got there almost immediately as soon as she woke up.
- Mary had just one style, facially and costume wise all through the movie. The only scene she changed hair style was when she killed Miller. So I was wondering how an assassin could walk confidently on the streets and not be suspected when she hardly disguised…
- With all the numerous killings done in the open in the movie, there was never a time the uniformed men were introduced in the movie, they were neither seen carrying out investigtions…smh
- The last scene where Mary went to kill Benny’s men was so appalling. I mean, she was shot a night ago and she was able to kill all of them without expressing injury pains or limping. All Mary’s movements do not show any sign that she was shot earlier
Confusing scene(s): I don’t understand, Danny boarded a train in the evening @ 58 minutes but got to Benny’s place the next morning. Meanwhile, Mary got to his place in just few minutes.
Overall rating for Proud Mary
- STRUCTURE: Good Beginning, Shaky Middle, Shaky ending
- SOUND: Good
- DIALOGUE: Good
View some interesting ones here
Uncle: You think because you are Benny Goddamn Spencer’s man you get to walk in here and shoot your mouth off like a parrot with tits @ 14 minutes
Uncle– If Danny is still alive I will sell him to you- Mary– I think you mean if you are still alive @ 14minutes 51 seconds
Danny: What is it that you really do Mary: I am a nun, I am a goddamn nun @ 37 minutes
Tom: @ 1 hour 21 minutes- if not for the old man, you had be a guttersnipe servicing cabbies for smack.
Tom: News flash Mary, you aint the mothering type Mary– newsflash asshole, I am the mothering type
Mary: @ 1 hour 24 minutes, I am gonna buckle your lips
Danny: If you want me to leave, then I will go Mary: Then fine go! Danny: Is that what you want? Mary: Did I say is what I want…@ 37 minutes 24 seconds
- CHARACTERS: Familiar faces and new faces
- SCREEN PLAY: Good
- SHOTS: Not too bright
- LOCATION: USA
- REMARK: Regardless of the discrepancies recorded, it is one film people would certainly enjoy viewing. No dull scenes and easy to comprehend
- RATE: 6/10
VIEW MORE IMAGES HERE
@proudmary #proudmary @screengems @paulsehiff @sonycompany @tarajiphenson @dannyglover @billybrown @JAHIDIALLOWINSTON @NEALMCDONOUGH @MARGARETAVERY @XANDER BERKERLY @RADESERBEDZIJA @ERIKLARAYHARVEY @OWENBURKE @JAMESJULLAN @JAMESMILORD
@JOHNSTUARTNEWMAN @CHRISTIANSWEGAL @PAULSEHIFF @TAIDUNCAN @ANDREAAJEMIAN @GLENNGAINOR @BABAK NAJAFI